Hi all! I know I haven’t gotten the chance to blog here in the last few months. It’s been quite a busy and crazy time for me, which I’m sure I’ll write about at some point. In the meantime, I really wanted to keep the tradition going where I lay out some quotes I want to live by in the new year.
Just as a recap, I began my New Year’s ritual last year. At the beginning of every year now, I plan to take a look at the quotes I have collected over the previous 12 months–not only to be reminded of the words that have touched me in the last year, but to also use these words as inspiration for my life in the new year.
Here are my ten favorite quotes I came across in 2014 that will serve as inspiration for my life in 2015:
1. “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
2. “What makes night within us may leave stars.” – Victor Hugo
3. “Bran thought about it. ‘Can a man still be brave if he’s afraid?’
‘That is the only time a man can be brave,’ his father told him.” – George R. R. Martin (from A Game of Thrones)
4. “I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes…you’re Doing Something.” – Neil Gaiman
5. “All art is autobiographical; the pearl is the oyster’s autobiography.” – Federico Fellini
6. “I’m not afraid of storms, for I’m learning how to sail my ship.” – Louisa May Alcott
7. “I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.” – Douglas Adams
8. “You couldn’t relive your life, skipping the awful parts, without losing what made it worthwhile. You had to accept it as a whole–like the world, or the person you loved.” – Stewart O’Nan
9. “Solitude is certainly a fine thing; but there is pleasure in having someone who can answer, from time to time, that it is a fine thing.” – Jean-Louis Guez de Balzac
10. “Accept who you are. Unless you’re a serial killer.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Happy New Year!